BrightStar Reader Community Dyslexia assisting online software

Radcliffe has Dyspraxia

Posted on

Action Scenes Help Him Cope

Harry Potter has a learning disability, but watching Daniel Radcliffe, you’d never know.

Daniel Radcliffe of Harry Potter movie fame says that the challenging action scenes depicted in the movie series are the stuff that helps him to cope with his learning difficulty. The young British movie star is afflicted with dyspraxia, an impairment of coordination and movement. Radcliffe says that, to his advantage, going through the grueling training necessitated by producing those action scenes really made a difference for him in learning to live with his condition.

The actor says that performing stunts have helped him because they require coordination. He admits, however, that his dyspraxia isn’t severe. For some people, the condition is so disabling that even catching a ball is difficult. For Radcliffe, the dyspraxia is not at all as burdensome as that, but admits that he is slow to process physical/motor information. “Through doing training and through doing bits of gymnastics when I was younger as “Potter”, it has absolutely helped me and has made all the dyspraxia stuff kind of decrease a lot,” says Radcliffe.

Tying Shoes

Today, Daniel still has difficulty with some simple tasks. While it is no trouble for him to memorize up to five movie scripts at a time, tying his shoelaces is mission impossible.

The actor first admitted to suffering from dyspraxia, a neurological disorder associated with clumsiness back in 2008. Radcliffe says that at times he finds it hard to button his shirt or write a thank-you note. School was difficult for him.

The star’s publicist, Vanessa Davies has stated that the actor’s dyspraxia is quite mild. “It’s a mild condition that affects his ability to tie his shoe laces and affects his handwriting,” said Davies. Davies adds that while Radcliffe can get the job done albeit with a bit of a struggle, he often requests assistance with tying his shoes.

Cause Unknown

According to Dr. Mark Hallett, a senior investigator for the Bethesda, Md., based National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Strokes, the cause of dyspraxia remains unknown. “Dyspraxia is a form of clumsiness, which is seen largely in children and is not explained by more elementary problems,” Hallett said. “Those who have dyspraxia may have trouble with simple things, such as shoe laces, jumping rope or throwing a ball.”

The National Center for Learning Disabilities, which is located in New York City, says that around 6% of all children display some of the signs of dyspraxia. Of this number, 70% are boys.

Related Links:

This entry was posted in Dyspraxia, Learning Difficulty and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Radcliffe has Dyspraxia

1. Hi ,
    I’m afraid I’m going to disagree about Dyspraxia with Dr mark Hallet on one point – that it is mostly seen in children.
    It is better hidden in adults but the condition is now known to continue for life . It affects more then co-ordination – sensory integration, vision and organisational abilities are also affected .Many suffer low self esteem after years of teasing at school . I diagnose and work with adults with Dyspraxia in the UK and see the need for research into effective treatment and support for this age group.
    P S Einstein was also Dyspraxic and had trouble with shoe laces and getting lost. Dyspraxia has nothing to do with intelligence – just some differences in neurological wiring . Frances Beaumont Dyspraxia UK

2. Gabby says:

My little brother suffer from all three dyspaxia. i feel really sorry for him. he couldn’t talk started school.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>